The #ACPA17 Career Development and Advancement Team has some great things in store for you to advance your student affairs career at any level. From undergraduate students to senior student affairs professionals—we have great opportunities for you to engage with us.
In addition to ACPA’s 7 Ways to Stay Prepared in the Job Search Process, we want to share additional tips for those embarking on the job search:
- Don’t miss an opportunity to network! Volunteer at #ACPA17, get involved in your chapter or division, or join a commission, coalition, or community of practice.
- Make sure you are connected with ACPA on Google+, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram to stay in the know!
- Participate in the resume/CV review process whether this is your first or tenth search.
- Spruce up your social media.
- Participate in mock interviews so you seem poised—but try not to come across as scripted.
- Prepare differently for virtual interviews (phone, Skype, GoToMeeting, Google Hangout, etc.) by making sure sound is working properly, ensuring you will be uninterrupted, eliminating background noise, and having a back-up plan if technology glitches arise.
- Get your resumes/CVs out there—but only for positions you are genuinely interested in. It is not a wise plan to apply to a position for “practice.”
- Take time to make a list of what is negotiable and what is not negotiable (location, institution size, functional area, etc.)
- Shine like the star you are and remember—just because you have an offer does not mean you have to accept it. If you don’t feel the “fit,” consider continuing your search.
We will be offering resume/CV reviews until March 1st. If you would like your resume or CV reviewed, fill out this form. We also need talented professionals to review resumes; if you would like to apply to review up to three resumes click this form. Additionally, those who are registered to attend #ACPA17 can participate in mock interviews on Monday morning and Tuesday afternoon. If you would like to participate in a mock interview click on this form.
Employers—we didn’t forget about you! If you would like to reserve space for information sessions or to interview candidates, fill out thisrequest for space form.
Convention is a great time to learn, engage, and reflect upon your career path. We are excited to connect with you at Career Central in Columbus, OH, USA!
Dr. Sherry L. Early is an assistant professor in the Leadership Studies program at Marshall University. Currently she serves as Candidate Coordinator Liaison within the Career Development and Advancement area on the #ACPA17 Convention Planning Team. @earlyshe