We understand attending ACPA Annual Convention as a part of your ongoing professional development may be costly for some. While some attendees are privileged to have their expenses covered by their home institution or organization, others pay out of pocket for this opportunity. We are mindful of the costs of attending convention and want to provide some thoughts for consideration as you plan and budget for your trip.
One way to receive lower rates is to become an ACPA member. Becoming an ACPA member, saves you at least $200 if you register by the early registration deadline.
Submit a Payment Plan – you can register today and spread out your payments in installments until 1 February, 2019, when the balance is due. This secures the early bird rate and more time to cover the related costs.
If you are an undergraduate or Master’s level graduate student, consider participating in NextGen. The NextGen rate includes participation in the NextGen sessions on Saturday and Sunday, and allows you the opportunity to stay for the duration of the ACPA19 convention. NextGen also includes two meals – dinner on Saturday and lunch on Sunday.
Also, consider One Day pass options if you are unable to stay for the entire duration of convention
• Lodging is a major expense for attendees. ACPA contracts with convention hotels to ensure competitive rates and amenities such as free Wifi, to keep costs down. We encourage attendees to use the selected hotels as this helps ACPA to keep convention costs down.
• Members can help reduce expenses by choosing to have roommates. We offer a roommate matching service to facilitate this process.
• Often graduate students and others are known to have multiple roommates depending on one’s comfort level.
During the ACPA19 Convention, we provide the following food:
• At CelebrACPA as part of the Opening Session. This consists of heavy reception-style food and followed by dessert-style reception at CultureFest.
• Coffee is available during designated Marketplace Breaks.
• Some socials will have food
• The Convention does not have any formal breakfasts, luncheons or dinners. For those using Per Diems, you should not have any restrictions.
• Our location in downtown Boston provides a variety of restaurants and convenience stores for members looking at different price points for meals. This list of venues will be provided on the ACPA19 website as well as venues that are minority-owned.
• The hotels have mini-fridges allowing you to purchase water and other snacks outside of the convention center and hotel.
Travel costs vary depending on where you are coming from and if you are traveling to Houston via air, car, bus, or train. We encourage you to consider all options as to what is most feasible and to consider related costs.
• If flying to Boston, additional costs for luggage, travel costs to/from airport
• If driving, cost of gas and parking during convention
• If Bus or train, travel/to from terminal to Hotels, etc.
OTHER ITEMS TO CONSIDER
In the event you cannot receive institutional funding, negotiate with your supervisor to attend ACPA19 without having to use personal leave.